Thursday, December 1, 2016

The SimpliSafe Home Security System


These days, you can't be too careful or too secure. From home invasions to opportunistic thieves, the danger is clear.

When I moved into a rental home a few years ago, I wanted to protect my valuables and family. Being a single dad, the home would often be empty for long periods of time. I didn't live in a particularly bad area but thieves (especially here in the Matanuska Valley) know no bounds.

My research led me to SimpliSafe and I'm so glad that it did. Being in a rental, I was hesitant to approach the landlord with the concept of an alarm company going in and drilling holes everywhere and running wires through the crawlspace and attic. Getting locked into a two or three year contract was even less appealing. Add to that the high cost of monthly monitoring and it became apparent that I needed something different.

SimpliSafe is that different security system.

How is SimpliSafe different?


  • First and foremost, it is definitely a do-it-yourself install. When I received the system, in a little over an hour all of the sensors were placed and the system was operating perfectly.
  • It is completely wireless. This means no drilling of holes or running any wires. As well, thieves cannot just cut your phone line outside the home and have their fun. Because the sensors are all mounted with double-sided tape, I've been able to remove and reinstall the entire system both times I've moved since the original install.
  • It is relatively inexpensive. For less than $300 you can have a package that will handle most needs. And you can expand the system as you like by purchasing different sensors and even cameras if you like.
  • Monitoring is optional. If you do choose monitoring, it starts at only $14.99 a month  or $24.99 a month if you want the interactive features such as text notifications. All of this with no contract.
  • The system is downright foolproof to use. When you are leaving the house, just hit "Away" and exit within 1 minute. When you come home, just enter your pin. Nothing else. There is also a "Home"  feature that you can set anytime you are home that disables the motion detectors but keeps the door and window sensors active.
  • If you have Nest, the system integrates, telling Nest when you are away so the thermostat can be lowered.
I've had my system for four years now and I love it. When I first received the system there was an issue with the wireless card in that where I lived did not have very good cell reception. It was an easy fix. SimpliSafe sent me a new card for a different carrier and voila, problem solved.

They just recently introduced cameras for the system. Us system owners have been asking for that feature for years. These cameras are for indoor use only and therefor not what I'm looking to add. But if you want indoor cameras they have you covered.

I like that I can login at anytime and review the notification log. Since each kid can have their own separate pin, I can see who came home or left and when.

The SimpliSafe website is super-easy to navigate and can give you detailed information about all of the features. At the time of this posting, they were also offering a 15% discount on all packages.

I hope this articles helps you in your search for an affordable security system. I'll be happy to try and answer any questions you may have.



No comments:

Post a Comment